More than 14,500 people have signed an online petition calling on the United Kingdom and the European Union to place a visa restriction on Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, just as the United States of America has reportedly done.
The petition titled: “Petition For The Governments of the UK and the EU to Place a Travel Ban on Nasir El-Rufai” is addressed to the UK Parliament, the UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson; Council of the European Union and the European Parliament and is being signed on Change.Org.
As of 1.43 pm on Wednesday, the petitions had been signed by 8,327 people.
The petition was initiated on Tuesday 15 September by Reno Omokri, a former aide to President Goodluck Jonathan.
Omokri accused El-Rufai of being a threat to the peace and security of Nigeria for many reasons.
In the petition, Omokri stated that on December 3, 2016, El-Rufai admitted that he paid herdsmen who had been accused of killing several persons.
“Since that admission, there has been an intense escalation of the killings of mostly Christians in Kaduna, and on August 25, 2020, suspected herdsmen abducted seven schoolchildren and their teacher from Prince Academy, in Kaduna. They have not been seen or heard of since then,” Omokri said.
Omokri, also claimed that El-Rufai on January 27, 2013, insulted Jesus Christ using Twitter
The petition further read, “On February 6, 2019, he threatened foreign observers, including observers from the EU and UK with death, warning that they would return in body bags should they intervene in Nigeria.
“On July 15, 2012, Nasir El-Rufai said, and I quote ‘We will write this for all to read. Anyone, soldier or not that kills the Fulani takes a loan repayable one day no matter how long it takes.“
“This threat has been carried out in Southern Kaduna where there is an ongoing genocide of Christians under el-Rufai’s watch.”
Omokri said on August 23, 2019, the governor charged the Anglican Bishop of Zaria province of Kaduna, Abiodun Ogunyemi, for defamation.
“On April 24, 2019, another of his sons, Bashir el-Rufai, described the pogrom against Igbos as sweet.
“It is for this reason that Nigerian citizens call on the government of the United Kingdom and the European Union Presidency to follow the lead of the United States and place a visa ban on Nasir El-Rufai, who is scheming to become Nigeria’s President, to prevent a Rwandan style genocide in Nigeria,” he said.
Efforts to get a response from the governor’s office proved abortive as his Spokesman, Mr. Muyiwa Adekeye, did not respond to calls and a text message as of the time of filing this report.
Nasir El-Rufai was also accused of human rights abuse including prolonged and illegal detention of government critics.
In the petition Omokri claims that El-Rufai is a threat to the peace and security of Nigeria and asked the UK and EU not to allow him entry into their shores like the United States.